Wednesday 9 July 2014

My Holiday in Arizona - Montezuma Well

Our first proper sight seeing trip on Wednesday was Montezuma Well


This looks very interesting...


Unfortunately the light was so bright that this sign didn't come out especially clear which is a shame as it was interesting reading.


Marti told us about this tree.


When you cup your hands round the leaves you can smell the desert and water....or something like that anyway...I was too busy running off ahead to hear properly.




Our first view of the well.

It contains over 15 million gallons (56.8 million litres) of water!


Off to the side was an interesting structure that we zoomed in on to get a closer look.


Looks like it was an old dwelling place.  This pit house dates to around 1050 CE - that is old!


It was so strange seeing this oasis of water in the middle of the very hot and very dry desert.



I just stood and stared at it for ages, the reflections and colour of the water were amazing.


Deep in thought....


Another information board, again sadly it was too bright to be able to read properly.


The other side.



Vegetation in the water.



The well is home to creatures found no where else in the world.


Oops, better make sure I stay on the track!


For sure I don't want to meet any rattle snakes!

Walking down towards the well itself...

Down I go...

Round the corner


This is fun, although a very hot day.  It seems hotter here than it was at the Grand Canyon


Looking across the well.


Towards the dwellings built into the sides of the cliff


Imagine living in there?


Not sure I could imagine it...I like my home comforts too much.


Back up the top we take a few more photos of the well and the surrounding view.




Information about what grows in the surround valley.





Final view of Montezuma's Well before we head back to the car towards Montezuma's Castle!  Wow a castle, I wonder if it will look like the castles in England?

No comments:

Post a Comment